Recipe by Confetti
VERY SIMPLE. Used some leftover/dry sourdough bread and just started throwing things together. Eventually I created this. Its not TOO sweet and very filling. I used fat free milk and light butter but you can use anything.
Top Review by Geniale Genie
This was a very simple, yet tasty, recipe. The flavour of the apple sauce added a special touch, although overall, I found it overly sweet. It definitely needed to bake for the whole 35 minutes. I did make a few tiny changes: I was fresh out of milk, so I used 1 cup of dry skim milk powder and 2 cups water. I also omitted the raisins and used Splenda Brown Sugar substitute. I also grated maple sugar over top, instead of drizzling brown sugar or maple syrup. Thank you Confetti for this health(ier) version of bread pudding!This was a very simple recipe - I was fresh out of milk, so I used 1 cup of dry skim milk powder and 2 cups water. I also omitted the raisins and used Splenda Brown Sugar substitute. I also grated maple sugar over top, instead of drizzling brown sugar or maple syrup. Thank you Confetti for this health(ier) version of bread pudding!
- 4 cups bread, cubed
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bread into 1-2 inch cubes and spread a layer on the bottom of a large glass baking dish. (Using HALF the bread cubes).
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and butter together long enough to melt butter. (Make sure you do not let the milk boil!).
- Once butter is melted, remove from heat. Add brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and vanilla untill well mixed and a little foamy/frothy.
- Whisk egg mixture into milk mixture.
- Pour mixture over the first layer of bread cubes, making sure to soak them through.
- Spread applesauce over the soaked bread cubes evenly and sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins.
- Add the rest of the bread cubes and pour remaining mixture over them. Sprinkle more cinnamon and raisins.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar (optional) and/or drizzle with a little maple syrup.
- Bake on 350 degrees for about 20-35 minutes or until the center is set.