VERY SIMPLE. Used some leftover/dry sourdough bread and just started throwing things together. Eventually I created this. Its not TOO sweet and very filling. I used fat free milk and light butter but you can use anything.
- Cut bread into 1-2 inch cubes and spread a layer on the bottom of a large glass baking dish. (Using HALF the bread cubes).
- In a saucepan, warm the milk and butter together long enough to melt butter. (Make sure you do not let the milk boil!).
- Once butter is melted, remove from heat. Add brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs and vanilla untill well mixed and a little foamy/frothy.
- Whisk egg mixture into milk mixture.
- Pour mixture over the first layer of bread cubes, making sure to soak them through.
- Spread applesauce over the soaked bread cubes evenly and sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, and raisins.
- Add the rest of the bread cubes and pour remaining mixture over them. Sprinkle more cinnamon and raisins.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar (optional) and/or drizzle with a little maple syrup.
- Bake on 350 degrees for about 20-35 minutes or until the center is set.