Prep 8 mins
Cook 20 mins
A really great Chanukkah recipe I found on Aish.com. This is defientely a keeper. A little secret that I want to share with you all. There are some recipes that I've posted here that I make for certain holidays, but sometimes I like to make them during other times of the year, when it's not holiday time, because they are just plain delicious. These may be one of them!
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- .In a medium saucepan, heat butter, water, sugar, cinnamon and salt and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and add flour. Return to low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together and forms a ball. Continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Transfer dough to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat on low speed with a paddle attachment for 1 minute or until cooled slightly. Add eggs one at a time. Add apple and mix until just combined.
- In a heavy medium sized pan, heat oil to 350 F on a candy or deep fry thermometer. Using a 1 teaspoon scoop, carefully drop batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough and dust with powdered sugar.
- In a small bowl, whisk together jam and orange juice and serve with zeppole.