Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
My MIL's recipe. Easy and a nice fall dessert.
- 946.36 ml sliced apples
- 354.88 ml sugar, divided
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 118.29 ml coarsely chopped walnuts
- 236.59 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 118.29 ml half-and-half
- 78.07 ml melted butter or 78.07 ml margarine
- 59.14 ml finely chopped walnuts
- Place apples in a greased 9-inch square baking pan; spread them out evenly.
- In a bowl, add 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and coarsely chopped walnuts; stir to combine.
- Sprinkle mixture over apples.
- In another bowl, add the flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; stir to combine and set aside.
- Mix together the egg, half-and-half, and butter in a bowl; add to flour mixture; beat until smooth.
- Pour over apples.
- Sprinkle with finely chopped walnuts.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until pick comes out clean.
Wonderful dessert. I typically make apple crisp for dessert when we have company. This time I wanted to bake something different so I decided to try this. Love how the topping sinks to the bottom and makes a crust. Easily converted this to gluten free just as written using my favorite GF flour mix. Will definitely make this again - might try using pecans next time since we like them better than walnuts.
Forgot the walnuts on top - and still fantastic... Added about three handfuls of cranberries - GREAT! Great for a holiday dessert or anytime! I was eating it out of the pan. Would be great served with c**l w**p, too.
Good but a bit much batter for the amount of apples. I will up the apples by about half next time. Good, just needs a bit of tweaking.