3 hrs 20 mins
This recipe is from Woman's Day. According to the article, the magazine's staff enthusiastically agreed that this may be the best apple cake they've ever had. The cooking time includes time for cooling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 3 1/2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees; coat a 10-inch tube pan with removable tube insert with nonstick spray.
- 2Whisk sugar, oil, apple cider, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until blended.
- 3Stir in flour until blended.
- 4Stir in apples and walnuts.
- 5Scrape mixture into prepared pan.
- 6Bake 1 hour and 10 to 20 minutes.
- 7Let cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour.
- 8Remove sides of pan.
- 9Cool completely before lifting cake off bottom of pan.
- 10For cider sauce,.
- 11Whisk cider, brown sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan until blended.
- 12Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- 13Boil 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- 14Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla; stir until butter melts.
- 15Let cool to room temperature or refrigerate until serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple-Walnut Cake With Cider Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.9
- Calories from Fat 220
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 41.5 mg
- Sodium 172.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 31.6 g
- Protein 5.3 g