Recipe by Lainey6605
This recipe is from Woman's Day. According to the article, the magazine's staff enthusiastically agreed that this may be the best apple cake they've ever had. The cooking time includes time for cooling.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 3 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees; coat a 10-inch tube pan with removable tube insert with nonstick spray.
- Whisk sugar, oil, apple cider, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until blended.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake 1 hour and 10 to 20 minutes.
- Let cool in pan on wire rack 1 hour.
- Remove sides of pan.
- Cool completely before lifting cake off bottom of pan.
- For cider sauce,.
- Whisk cider, brown sugar and cornstarch in a medium saucepan until blended.
- Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking occasionally.
- Boil 1 minute or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla; stir until butter melts.
- Let cool to room temperature or refrigerate until serving.