Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this dessert for its pure and simple ingredients. Tart, sweet and buttery - be sure to use good quality butter! It's one of the easiest desserts to make with ingredients you probably have lying around.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Add lemon juice and nutmeg to sliced apples, set aside.
- Cream the butter and the sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt, and add to batter.
- Spread the dough in the greased springform pan.
- Layer the apple slices over the dough in concentric circles, overlapping each row (I like to leave a small space between slices otherwise cake tends not to rise enough).
- Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture generously over the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
what is sweet creamy butter?
We love this recipe! I have been making a version of it (no nutmeg or lemon juice) for many years which I found in "The Uncommon Gourmet" by Ellen Helman. I once served it to my neighbor's parents who were visiting from Germany. Her father ate two pieces - something he rarely did! Thanks for posting this. I will try it with the nutmeg and lemon juice next time. Thanks!