Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Real comfort food!! This one comes from a friend I worked with many years ago and one from my hand written cookbook. Makes a golden biscuit topping with a tasty sauce below. Nice with whipped cream and/or custard for a really filling dessert. I have altered the amount of water as suggested by reviewers but I find by allowing the pudding to stand after cooking the 2 cups should be ok.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup apple (peeled, cored & chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt & sugar together.
- Add the chopped apple & milk.
- Mix well and place in greased ovenproof dish.
- Blend together the brown sugar, butter, lemon juice and boiling water.
- Pour this over the batter in the dish.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake at 350'F/180'C for 20 - 25 minutes.
- After removing from the oven allow to stand for 10-15mins to allow the syrup to thicken and be slightly absorbed.
- Serve warm with cream or custard.
I'm sorry to say this recipe just wasn't for us. I reduced the water to 1-1/2 cups (as suggested by another reviewer) but found it much to watery for us. If it wasn't for the cinnamon on top, there wouldn't have been any colour to the bisquit...I found anyway. Obviously it works well for others, but just not us. Thanks for posting Jen T.
I made this last night and thought it was wonderful. Had to give it 4 stars though, because 1/2 of the troops complained that it wasn't sweet enough for their liking. (I have some very picky eaters in my family) I on the other hand loved the fact that it is not an sweet dessert. I did cut the boiling water back to 1-1/2 cups though and the sauce thickened up wonderfully. Oh, and I also add some fresh raspberries along with the chopped apple and the combination worked great together. Thanks for posting this recipe.
I made this recipe for a dinner I was going to..I thought it was a bit odd though that the recipes says it serves 4, that didnt seem right to me..anyway, I made it but I doubled the recipe and made the mistake of thinking there was too much liguid in it as it was baking so I poured alot of it off..Dont do that and it will come out GREAT! I really liked this and so did my friends..I will def make again an might experiment with other fruits..:-)