Rhubarb Old-fashioned Cobbler
photo by bonitabanana
- Ready In:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut in 1 inch slices
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (I like the taste of the rhubard so I don't add it) (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix first four topper ingredients.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Add slightly beaten egg and milk all at once to dry ingredients, stirring just to moisten.
- Set Aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon (optional), water, butter and rhubarb.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour hot rhubarb filling into 8" round or square baking dish.
- Immediately spoon on biscuit topper in 6 mounds.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes.
- Serve with cream or ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We had this yesterday as a desert and really enjoyed it. When I make it next time I'll probably use slightly less fruit (3 1/2 cups), but my boyfriend thought it was perfect as it was, and gave it full marks. I used only 3/4 cup of sugar and I did use the cinnamon and it was nice and tart which was perfect in combination with the sweetness of the custard I served it with. Yummy!!