This squash has a delicate hint of orange combined with dried cranberries and a tart apple for a true taste delight. The maple syrup adds a delicate touch of sweetness.
- Cut the squash in half; discard seeds.
- Place the squash cut side down in a microwave safe dish; add 1/2 inch of water.
- Microwave on high, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender; drain.
- While the squash is cooking, melt the butter in a non-stick skillet and add the diced apple.
- Cook, stirring frequently for 2 to 3 minutes, add the orange juice, apple pie spice, cranberries and chopped pecans.
- Continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until the orange juice has evaporated, stir in orange zest.
- Divide the mixture between the squash halves, drizzle with maple syrup and place under broiler for a few minutes to brown lightly.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Hint: For easier cutting of the squash, place in microwave and microwave on high for 1 minute or until slightly warm.