Prep 12 mins
Cook 30 mins
This came from a box of Cedar's phyllo dough. I used this phyllo dough to make another variation of apple strudel. I don't think all the instructions are self-explanatory, so use discretion and past experiences.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 (450 g) package phyllo dough
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 5 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash allspice (optional)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Carefully unfold phyllo dough package. Take one sheet, lay it flat, brush on melted butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Repeat four more time.
- spoon desired amount of filling 3" from the edges and fold carefully.
- Place on cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg.
- Mark individual portions with a sharp knife and bake at 350 F for 30 minutes or until golden.
I made this according to the recipe but without egg and allspice. I think the apples should be cut in small pieces, mine weren't and I had a bit of a problem to roll them into the filo pastry. I made half portion. The taste was good but something was missing, I don't really know what but I'll try to experiment next time. Maybe I am too much used to store ready made apple strudel as it is very popular in my country. My mom liked it a lot though and we have only one piece left. Thank you for the recipe, it is quick and easy!
Made this tonight and it was fantastic! I must have had extra juicy apples or something though because I ended up with it sitting in a pool of liquid when it baked, I'm not quite sure how to change that. But the taste was still incredible! I skipped the egg wash on top though and just brushed it with margarine(which I used instead of butter).
I chose this recipe because we love strudel! although I think that flour mixed into the apple mixture would have been better in place of the breadcrumbs sprinkled on the phyllo, I found the texture "grainy" you did not specify soft or dry crumbs so I used very fine dry crumbs, however the taste was good! thanks for sharing hon!...Kitten:)