1/1 Photo of Apple Sharlotka
1 hr 20 mins
Originally from smitten kitchen blog. This recipe showcases apple. Notice how it does not have oil or butter in batter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to finish
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar, also to finish, maybe more
- whipped cream, sweetened slightly (optional)
- sour cream, sweetened slightly (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- 3Butter the paper and the sides of the pan.
- 4Peel, halve and core your apples, then chop them into medium-sized chunks. (Cut each half into four “strips” then slice them fairly thinly — about 1/4-inch — in the other direction.) Pile the cut apples directly in the prepared pan.
- 5Meanwhile, in a large bowl, using an electric mixer or whisk, beat eggs with sugar until thick and ribbons form on the surface of the beaten eggs.
- 6Beat in vanilla, then stir in flour with a spoon until just combined. Batter will be very thick.
- 7Spread the batter and press it down with spoon or spatula into the apple pile. The top of the batter should end up level with the top of the apples. Bake in preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out free of batter.
- 8Cool in pan for 10 minutes on rack, then flip out onto another rack, peel off the parchment paper, and flip it back onto a serving platter. Dust lightly with ground cinnamon.
- 9Serve warm or cooled, dusted with powdered sugar. Serve with barely sweetened whipped or sour cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Sharlotka
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.5
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 28.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 42.8 g
- Protein 4.4 g