Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
I haven't made these yet, but they sound really easy to do.Yield is a guess.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup apple, chopped and peeled
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in center.
- In a small bowl, stir together buttermilk, applesauce, egg whites and oil.
- Pour into well of dry mix.
- Stir just until evenly moistened.
- Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in apples and raisins.
- Pour into lined muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Baked these for PAC 2006. I would give this recipe 4 stars except for the fact that they stuck to the muffin cups and they were not as moist as I would have liked. They were still a hit with my friends - I would recommend these muffins if you like dense muffins - they taste great and are very easy to make. They do make 12 big muffins. I also baked them at 350F for 25 minutes. Thanks Zaney1!
Had extra buttermilk in the fridge, so I decided to make these muffins. The combo of the buttermilk and the applesauce makes the muffin moist. I used Gala apples because they are sweet and sprinkled the top with just a bit of cinnamon and sugar before baking. I also omitted the raisins as my family does not care for them. A tasty muffin. Thanks!