1/2 Photos of Apple Pecan Upside Down Cake
1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 25 mins
A twist on Pineapple version. Edited directions since Bayhill's review and question about baking powder vs. baking soda! :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 granny smith apples
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons milk
- whipped topping (optional)
- 1Peel, core and slice apples about 1/4 inch thick. Place in a mixture of water and lemon juice to prevent browning. Set aside.
- 2Preheat oven to 450°F.
- 3Toast pecans on ungreased baking sheet in oven until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Check frequently to prevent burning.
- 4Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- 5Melt butter in small, heavy saucepan. Add brown sugar and cook, stirring, just until melted, 3 to 5 minutes. Watch closely because sugar burns easily.
- 6Pour butter-sugar mixture into 9 inch round nonstick cake pan and spread to coat bottom. Sprinkle chopped pecans on top butter-sugar mixture. Drain and pat dry apples and place in circles, slightly overlapping, over pecans.
- 7Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt into bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue beating until creamy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and continue beating until completely incorporated.
- 8Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and milk, alternating, in 3 additions. Continue to mix only until dry ingredients are completely mixed in, stopping to scrape sides if necessary.
- 9Spoon batter over topping and spread carefully so batter is even.
- 10Bake 55 minutes, or until tester comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 to 15 minutes. Carefully run spatula around edge of pan and let stand another 10 to 15 minutes.
- 11Invert pan over large plate and let stand 3 minutes. Carefully remove pan.
- 12Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apple Pecan Upside Down Cake
Serving Size: 1 (155 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.3
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 63.0 mg
- Sodium 313.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 50.3 g
- Protein 3.4 g