Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
adapted from a recipe on tastykitchen.com. the amount of pears and apples is a guess, since they are different sizes, I used 4 of each but just mostly fill a 2.5 qt casserole- it should be almost to the very top with the crumble topping. candied or crystalized ginger can be used. ice cream is the best way to serve this- classic vanilla is how i had it but cinnamon or ginger (like haagen dazs) would be great too.
- 4 apples, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 pears, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons candied ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup oats (not instant)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter
- toss all of the filling ingredients together and pour into a greased 2.5 qt (or 11x7 or 13x9 for thinner) casserole dish.
- combine topping ingredients until crumbs form, sprinkle evenly over the fruit.
- bake at 375 for 40 minutes, cool 15 minutes before serving.
Loved the flavor combination of the fruit and the ginger. Great topping, too. The only problem was that even trying to slice them thinly, the apples and pears cooked at different rates so there was an uneven texture. If I make it again, I think I would use all pears.