Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm posting this in response to a request. It's one variation of a delicious Polish pastry that can be topped with a variety of toppings.
For Mazurek base
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
For apple topping
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 12 peeled cored and sliced apples
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 lemon, zest of
- Apple topping: Boil sugar, water, and lemon juice to thick syrup.
- Add apple slices and boil slowly until glossy.
- Add grated rind.
- Cool while baking pastry base.
- Mazurek base: Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Cut butter into flour until crumbly.
- Mix beaten egg with cream and add to flour mixture.
- Mix together lightly with hand and spread on buttered cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Remove from oven and cover with apple topping.
- Bake 20 minutes longer.
- When cool can be decorated with powdered sugar glaze and chopped nuts, if desired.
- Cut into 1x2 inch pieces.