Recipe by Sweet surrender
I tweaked the Magnolia Bakery's recipe for Apple Tart with Hazelnut Brown Sugar topping, to come up with this simple and quick crumble. It is absolutely delicious. I received so many complements that I'm thinking of making it my signature dessert! =) Notes: I use either a 9 or 10 inch round pie dish for this recipe, but you can also use individual ramekins - just remember to shorten the baking time as ramekins are smaller and won't take as long to cook in the oven. Also note that measuring cups are required for this recipe!
Top Review by I'mPat
Very simple to make and very tasty to eat. I used a food processor to crush my nuts and to blend the flour, sugar and butter. Would have a tendency to serve it sooner while it was still warm though and we had it with custard. Thank you Sweet surrender. Made for the Aussie/NZ Swap #19 August 2008 Adopt a Joey.
- 5 -6 small tart green apples, cored, peeled & thinly sliced (ie. equals approx 4 cups of thinly sliced apples)
- 1⁄3 cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon plain white flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup plain white flour
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar (I prefer dark brown sugar but light is fine too)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped hazelnuts (I put them in a freezer bag and smash them with a rolling pin)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat your oven to 320 degrees fahrenheit or 160 degrees celsius.
- First, make the filling by placing all the ingredients in a large bowl and tossing gently with your fingers until the apple slices are evenly coated. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Now make the topping by mixing the flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Add in the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Next, add the hazelnuts to the topping mixture and, using your hands, toss until all the ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
- Very lightly grease the pie dish with butter. (I like to use a nice glass baking dish). Transfer the apple mixture evenly into the dish. Using your fingers, sprinkle the brown sugar topping evenly over the apples.
- Place the dish on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 45 minutes, until the top is lightly golden. When ready, take it out of the oven and let it cool for about an hour.