From Vegetarian Times. "This warm apple dessert is so good--and comes together so fast--you'll want to make it all fall."
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tart apples, unpeeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups dried apple rings
- 1⁄4 cup candied ginger, finely chopped
- 20 gingersnaps, crushed
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- whole gingersnaps, for garnish if desired
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute fresh apple slices 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Stir in juice, sugar, fresh ginger and cinnamon. Cook 5 minutes, or until liquid is syrupy.
- Add dried apple slices and candied ginger. Reduce heat to medium, and cook 3 minutes more, or until heated through.
- Sprinkle bottom of a 2-qt. bowl with 1/2 cup crushed gingersnaps.
- Stir remaining gingersnap crumbs into the apple mixture.
- Layer apple mixture and yogurt in bowl.
- Garnish with whole gingersnaps, if desired.