Prep 0 mins
Cook 25 mins
Taken from 'Rosemary Conley's Complete Hip and Thigh Diet' book, makes one 20 cm cake
Make and share this Apple Gateau recipe from Food.com.
- 3 eggs
- 112 g caster sugar
- 75 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 450 g apples, peeled cored and sliced (eating)
- 1 lemon, grated rind and juice
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons sugar (or artificial sweetener)
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Very llightly grease a 20 cm cake tin. Dust with caster sugar, then with flour. Shake out the excess.
- Place the eggs and caster sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk for 5 minutes at top speed. When thick and mousse-like, fold in the sifted flur and salt.
- Pour into the prepared tin. Bake in the centre of a moderatly hot oven 190C/375F/Gas 5 for 25 minutes or until golden brown and shrunk from the edges of the tin a little. Run a blunt knife around the inside of the tin and turn out the cake on to a wire rack to cool.
- For the filling: Place the apple slices in a pan with the grated rind and juice of a lemon and the jam. Heat slowly. Add the artificial sweetener to taste if required. Cover and cook until the apples are just tender.
- When the cake is cool, slice it across with a large knife to make two cakes. Spread the bottom half with the cooled apple filling and cover with the top half of the cake. Sprinkle with icing sugar on top.