- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups apples, pared, cored and finely chopped Rome Beautys
- 1⁄2 cup nuts
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda and salt, set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars; beat in eggs one at a time and vanilla.
- Stir in buttermilk alternately with flour mixture.
- Fold in apples, nuts and orange peel.
- Pour into two 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 5/8 - inch greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350 F- 50 to 60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack. Wrap and let stand overnight to allow flavors to blend.
- Makes two loaves.