Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Virginia Apple Growers Assoc site. I have posted the original and my recipe that was a mistake to begin with, but we love it now. I used Apple Butter Crock Pot Apple Butter from Margo.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl mix 3/4 cup apple butter, apple juice, butter and egg together. Fold in the raisins and chopped nuts. Add the apple butter mixture to the dry ingredients and blend together. Pour half the mixture in a loaf pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Gently spread the reserved 3/4 cup apple butter over the batter. Pour the rest of the batter over the apple butter mixture and spread evenly over the top to cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes or until done.
- To bake "my mistake loaf" just put all the apple butter in the wet ingredients and blend into the dry ingredients. I cut up dried pineapple pieces and added with the nuts instead of the raisins. Pour the whole batter into the loaf pan and bake as above.
- This makes a heavy moist bread that is delicious.
- Any kind of nuts can be used and any kind of dried fruit that your prefer.
- This can be sugar free using Splenda Brown Sugar blend and Margo's Apple Butter recipe using Splenda.
I used pear butter which I made and needed to use up. This was a great recipe! The loaf was moist and delicious. I made it with 3/4 cup stirred in the batter and 3/4 cup spread in the middle layer - was great that way!
We celebrate everyones birthdays thru-out the whole month at work. The only ingredient I didn't have on hand was the Apple Butter, so I had to improvise. I used Sugar-Free Apricot preserves, which I pureed in my blender. Boy did it work out great, everyone at work loved it. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. Melody aka: litldarlin.
This was really yummy. I would not change a thing. I used my own home made apple butter - I know this will be a oft requested bread in the future. Thanks!