Recipe by DebLiz
These are a great filling treat. Low in calories and fat, so don't worry about reaching for a second!
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat bran
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg (or 2 egg whites)
- 1⁄2 apple (chopped)
- 6 tablespoons powdered soy protein concentrate (or protein powder of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix wheat bran and buttermilk. Set aside.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, baking soda, protein powder and spices in a separate bowl.
- Add buttermilk mixture to bowl of dry ingredients. Stir in egg. Add chopped apples and distribute evenly throughout mixture.
- Line muffin pan with paper cups or grease pan. Spoon mixture into cups, about 3/4 full.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!