Recipe by Zurie
Quick and easy. You'll notice this is a muffin-type batter, but I prefer making this as a cake and serving it simply, in squares, with coffee or tea. It's also very good served with ice cream.
Top Review by Mirj
I love the flavor of the grated apples in this cake! I used a sweet local variety and didn't even peel them, just threw them into the food processor and grated away. I also ground the pecans medium-fine in the food processor. The batter is quite stiff, but makes a firm cake that holds up well under cinnamon honey ice cream!
- 400 g sweet apples, coarsely grated and weighed after grating
- 1 extra-large egg, beaten
- 375 ml cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (not soda)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup sugar
- 200 ml chopped walnuts or 200 ml pecans
- 80 ml cooking oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C/350 deg F.
- Using a square cake tin of 16 - 20cm in diameter, grease it well, line the bottom with cake paper, and grease the paper too.
- Beat the egg in a LARGE mixing bowl.
- Add the grated apple, and toss well.
- Measure and mix well all dry ingredients up to the allspice.
- Mix the sugar, nuts and oil with the apple and egg in the large bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter -- which is sticky -- in the prepared tin.
- Bake 45 - 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- OR fill 12 muffin cups and bake about 25 - 30 minutes.