Recipe by *Parsley*
This is a delicious old Pa Dutch recipe of my Nana's, which came from her grandmother. They are lightly crisp and buttery. Nana always rolled them almost paper-thin. Amount of cookies is an estimate; depends on the size/shape of your cookie cutters. Prep time includes chilling of dough.
Top Review by TheDancingCook
You made my Xmas! This is the recipe that my Great Nana used to make every Xmas and I was the only one who even got my own tin of them at Easter. These cookies are one of my most fondest memories of her. I was even handed down her old tin cookie cutters with the wooden round handles, which I used. She also used to roll them paper thin, which I was able to do for some, and just get them slightly browned also. No fancy stuff like sprinkles or icing; just the way they are...and dipping them into some hot tea and eaten is the best. I did add the extra 3/4 cup to the dough. I will definitely make these again, though I am going to omit the vanilla out the recipe as personal preference, as my Nana's did not have the vanilla flavor but more of a buttery flavor. But these really took me back in time; I'm so glad you posted this because we never had my Nana's Apie's recipe. Thank you so much!!!
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄3 cups white sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 6 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (more if needed)
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly cream butter and sugar. Add unbeaten eggs, vanilla and milk; mix well.
- Sift together flour and baking powder; gradually add this dry mixture to the creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- You will may need to add up to another 3/4 cup of flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll out.
- Chill at least 6-8 hours.
- To bake, preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- Roll out a portion of chilled dough on lightly floured surface very thin.
- Cut into shapes.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar or other sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake at 350 6-8 minutes or until edges brown SLIGHTLY.
- Cool. Store in airtight container.