1/2 Photos of Apfelkuchen Mit Rahm (Applecake With Rum)
1 hr 30 mins
Chef Kate's Note:
A lovely cross between a cake and a tart, courtesy of Carpe Diem, a charming B & B in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Despite the length of the instructions, it is really a simple dessert to make. Prep time does not include time for the cake to cool.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Crust
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, freshly grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the Filling
For the Topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2To make crust, mix flour, sugar, and lemon rind.
- 3Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 4Add egg yolk and 1 T of milk; mix gently to form a dough.
- 5Pat into bottom of a 10-inch Springform pan that has sides only greased.
- 6Press dough up sides of pan for 1 inch.
- 7For the Filling:.
- 8Warm the raisins over low heat in the rum.
- 9Toss together bread crumbs and melted butter and spread evenly over pastry crust.
- 10Toss apple slices,lemon juice, and 1/4 c of sugar together and spread apples over crumbs.
- 11Drain raisins, reserving rum, and sprinkle raisins over apples.
- 12Bake for 15 minutes.
- 13For the topping:.
- 14While the cake is baking for the initial fifteen minutes, beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- 15Stir in milk and reserved rum.
- 16Pour custard over apples and return to oven.
- 17Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until custard is set.
- 18Cool completely before serving.
- 19Do NOT remove springform pan until cool; do run thin sharp knife around inside of pan before removing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Apfelkuchen Mit Rahm (Applecake With Rum)
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.3
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 158.9 mg
- Sodium 234.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 8.2 g