Recipe by Chef Kate
A lovely cross between a cake and a tart, courtesy of Carpe Diem, a charming B & B in Provincetown, Massachusetts. Despite the length of the instructions, it is really a simple dessert to make. Prep time does not include time for the cake to cool.
Top Review by bluemoon downunder
I always feel I need really clear instructions when I'm making cakes, desserts and other sweet recipes as I make them very much less frequently. Chef Kate's instructions here were wonderfully clear. I departed from the recipe only in reducing the sugar (personal taste preference) in the crust, filling and topping and using craisons rather than raisins as I'm not overly fond of the latter. Wonderfully moist and flavoursome. We particularly loved the lemony flavour. Thanks for sharing a yummy recipe. Made for PRMR.
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, freshly grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 2⁄3 cup butter, unsalted
- 1 tablespoon milk
For the Filling
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs (soft)
- 4 cups sliced apples
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup rum
For the Topping
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust, mix flour, sugar, and lemon rind.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg yolk and 1 T of milk; mix gently to form a dough.
- Pat into bottom of a 10-inch Springform pan that has sides only greased.
- Press dough up sides of pan for 1 inch.
- For the Filling:.
- Warm the raisins over low heat in the rum.
- Toss together bread crumbs and melted butter and spread evenly over pastry crust.
- Toss apple slices,lemon juice, and 1/4 c of sugar together and spread apples over crumbs.
- Drain raisins, reserving rum, and sprinkle raisins over apples.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- For the topping:.
- While the cake is baking for the initial fifteen minutes, beat eggs and sugar until thick and lemon-colored.
- Stir in milk and reserved rum.
- Pour custard over apples and return to oven.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes until custard is set.
- Cool completely before serving.
- Do NOT remove springform pan until cool; do run thin sharp knife around inside of pan before removing.