Prep 20 mins
Cook 48 hrs
These zesty mushrooms are addictive. They take some planning ahead (they are best if marinated two days), but they are otherwise quick-to-make. They can be used as part of an antipasto platter, as a salad garnish, or as a garnish to grilled beef or pork.
- 1 lb mushroom, bases cut off
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup stock
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine olive oil, water or stock, garlic, lemon juice, and bay leaves in a large saucepan. In a mortar and pestle, briefly grind together the thyme and rosemary. Add the herbs, the peppercorns, and the salt to the marinade.
- Add the mushrooms to the saucepan and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Refrigerate mushrooms in their marinade for 1 to 2 days.
- To serve, remove from refrigerator at least 1/2 hour before serving. Drain the marinade from the mushrooms, picking out the bay leaves and peppercorns. Garnish, if desired, with freshly-chopped Italian parsley.