Recipe by CulinaryQueen
Got this out of a magazine many years ago, but don't know which one. You can use homemade tomato sauce or one in a jar, but homemade is always better! I've listed sweet sausage but if you prefer a bit of a bite, then feel free to use hot sausage.
Top Review by RecipeNut
My family and I loved this recipe. Since my green and red peppers were jumbo I used two of each. The recipe turned out great! I did use hot sausage instead which gave it a nice kick. Thanks CulinaryQueen
- 6 bell peppers, sliced into thin strips (3 red, 3 green)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 1 lb rotelle pasta, cooked and drained
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In large heavy skillet, saute peppers and garlic in hot oil until peppers are tender. Remove with slotted spoon to large bowl and set aside.
- Add sausage to pan and brown thoroughly. Remove with slotted spoon and add to bowl with peppers. Add tomato sauce and cooked pasta and combine. Tip mixture into 9 X 13 inch baking dish.
- Bake 45 minutes until heated through.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and mozzarella and bake an additional 5-10 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with crusty Italian bread and a salad.