Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
My grandma emma got me hooked on fried green tomatoes when I was really little. Now I make them for our family. You can add some cajun seasoning to the paprika and add more or less paprika as you wish. Also I put cornmeal because it didn't recognize drakes fry mix. I use drakes and luv it, gives it a nice crispy tomato.
- 1 cup canola oil, to fry in
- 3 medium green tomatoes, sliced thin
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal (I use drakes fry mix but wouldn't let me put that)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 dash salt
- Cut your tomatoes that are chilled. Heat the canola oil.
- Add your drakes crispy fry mix and paprika together.
- Dip your tomatoes in milk and dip in your drakes.
- Fry the tomatoes in the canola oil for a few minutes until crispy. I turn them over a couple times.
- I pat the oil with a paper towel and put a dash of salt on them.
I bought some green tomatoes from our local farmer's co-op because my family had never had fried green tomatoes. Put the tomatoes in the refrigerator overnight to chill and made them for a Saturday afternoon snack. Tripled the recipe and did find the Drakes's fry mix so used that with a bit of fresh ground pepper added. We all enjoyed the tomatoes and loved the crispy coating. Also drained them on a paper towel before serving. Thank you so much sweetie for sharing your Grandma's recipe! Made and reviewed for Adopt A Tag 2009.
What a great way to use up those green tomatoes! I couldn't find Drakes Fry Mix so I used the cornmeal and they turned out perfectly. Then next time I make them, I will add a bit of cajun seasoning for hubby. Great recipe, faith. This is a keeper!