Recipe by CoolMonday
I am not very tuned into ricotta cheese, so was happy to find this recipe at Italian Food Forever. My family keeps begging me to make it every week.
Top Review by Gerry
Made in memory of a Zaar member whose recipes have graced our table. Each of the recipes I have made are not only winners but requested often and have been added to our family cookbook. This one is no exception - made as posted and wouldn't change a thing. Served with a green salad and some freshly baked crusty rolls - made for a wonderful evening meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced fine
- 1 stalk celery, diced fine
- 4 links hot Italian sausage (or sweet if you prefer)
- salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb ziti pasta (or other dried pasta)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced mozzarella cheese (or Fontina cheese)
- 3 beaten eggs
- 3 ounces parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown sausage links well.
- Remove and cut into 1/2 inch rounds.
- Put aside.
- Make sauce by heating the oil.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot, celery.
- Saute until soft.
- Add wine and reduce to half.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, sausage, and parsley.
- Simmer for 60 minutes until thickened.
- Cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain and add to sauce and mix well.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a buttered ovenproof dish, put in 1/3 of pasta mix.
- Sprinkle with diced mozzarella.
- Repeat layers twice more.
- Pour beaten eggs over top of pasta.
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until bubbly.
- Let stand a few minutes before serving.