Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hoisin sauce, a spicy, sweet sauce, gives these burgers a juicy texture, while ginger and garlic provide a burst of flavor and the water chestnuts deliver an appealing crunch. Serve over tender green pr on toasted whole-wheat buns. EatingWell Magazine, Summer /03. When forming burger patties, make them thinner at the center to prevent them from steaming as they cook.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, crusts removed, torn into pieces
- 12 ounces lean ground turkey breast
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
SESAME MAYONNAISE WITH A TWIST
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat yogurt or 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sesame seeds
- salt and pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place bread in a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs.
- Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add ground turkey, water chestnuts, hoisin, scallions, ginger, garlic and salt; mix well. (The mixture will be moist.).
- With dampened hands, form the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- Oil the grill rack.
- Brush the patties with sesame oil.
- Grill until browned and no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes per side. (An instant-read thermometer inserted in the center should register 165°F.).
- PREPARE SESAME MAYONNAISE WITH A TWIST:.
- Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, scallions, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt & pepper in a small bowl; whisk until blended. Then add the sesame seeds, if you choose to.