Recipe by Rita~
Also called Achiote Oil. Annatto seed (poor man's saffron) is used to color food. It's from South America. The golden-yellow oil is used to fry or marinade vegetables or meat. Which results in a bright orange surface. In Vietnam, batters are often prepared with annatto oil to achieve a more attractive color.
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat seeds and oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes, until the oil takes on a deep golden color.
- Watch for spattering as the oil heats. DO not overheat.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 4 hours.
- Strain and discard seeds and pour into a glass container.
- Keeps for up to 1 month in refrigerator, or 4-5 days at room temperature.