Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from an old family friend who makes the best caramel ever! Prep and cooking time does not include cooling and cutting time. NOTE: THIS IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO MAKE IF IT'S WET OR RAINY OUTSIDE, AS FOR SOME REASON THE CARAMEL WON'T SET UP CORRECTLY:(
- Generously butter 9 x 13 pan with 2 T butter, and sprinkle finely chopped nuts of your preference and set aside.
- In large non-stick pan, melt 1/2 c butter, adding sugar and Karo syrup and pinch of salt.
- On medium high heat, bring to boil, stirring continuously.
- Once mixture comes to a roiling boil, slowly add evaporated milk, stirring continuously until tempature reaches soft ball stage; 240* on candy thermometer. (while stirring, make sure the boil continues).
- Once mixture has reached soft ball stage, remove from heat and add vanilla, stirring until smooth and creamy.
- Pour mixture over nuts and let set until completly firm and cool; approx 4 hours.
- Once caramel has cooled, cut into small bite size pieces, wrapping each individual piece with waxed paper, twisting both ends. (this is done as each piece comes out of the pan).
- Store wrapped candy in air tight container at room tempature.