Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Call it a cake or a quick bread, either way it's different and delicious. I adapted another of my recipes (Honey Spice Cake) to come up with this flavorful loaf. You will need to make Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327 (I skipped the sugar and salt in it) for the spice used in this, it doesn't take more than 5 mins and that included gathering the ingredients onto the counter and it is what makes this recipe what it is. Get ready to enjoy the wonderful baking aroma!
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 12.32 ml mixed spice (Zany Zesty North Africa/Middle East Spice Mix #428327, may use less if you like a milder spice flavor)
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 3.69 ml salt
- 236.59 ml chopped dried apricot (softened)
- 118.29 ml liquid honey
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar (I used Splenda)
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil, plus
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 118.29 ml boiling apricot water (from softening the apricots)
- Place apricots in a small pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for a couple of minutes Set aside to cool enough to be able to handle then drain them saving the apricot water.
- Chop when cool enough, you need 1 cup. Save 1/2 a cup of the drained water or add enough water to make a 1/2 cup if it's short.
- Preheat oven to 350°F . Butter and flour a 9 x 5 x 3-inch metal loaf pan.
- Stir first 5 ingredients together in medium bowl to blend and make a well.
- Add the well drained and chopped apricots and mix to coat the arpicots.
- In another bowl whisk together honey, sugar, oil and eggs in large bowl until blended, about 3 minutes. You can do this with a mixer if you wish but if the honey flows easilt it's very easy by hand and saves getting the mixer out.
- Microwave the saved water to bring to a boil.
- Pour into the dry ingredients and fold just enough to start getting it mixed.
- Add in 1/2 cup boiling water and continue folding until almost fully mixed. It's ok to have some dry flour or some small lumps.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until loaf is brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Turn out onto rack. Wrap warm cake in foil and store at room temperature until used up.
How can I be the first to review??? My rating is actually 4.5...after 45 minutes it wasn't cooked. I had to take it out to raise the heat for another dish so it sunk :( But once the other dish was done, i put this loaf back in the oven with the heat turned off where it sat for (awhile). The end result was kinda flat with a sunken middle but OH MY HOLY CRIPES AHOY!!! This was *supposed* to be breakfast tomorrow & the next day. I hope there's enough left for tomorrow. The kids had theirs in a bowl with ice cream. Mine, as usual, was buttered. Happily, the apricots stayed dispersed. I used a full TB of the spice mix which i made using the salt & sugar. I did cut back a wee bit on the salt in the recipe. I don't think it would matter much. the spice mix adds a lovely flavor!! Too bad I can't review that recipe. ;) I used the rest of the spice mix on some chicken for dinner. Worked out well! Delicious recipe ~ I've been wanting to make this for MONTHS. So happy I *finally* did it!! Thank you, A!! xoxo Bethie