Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A Crosby's Molasses recipe. They recommend using their "Fancy Molasses". Gotta love a cake that will stand on its own without frosting. Sometimes you don't have time to frost or just don't need the extra calories. ***To make your own sour milk, I recommend mixing 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice and let it stand for 10 minutes.***
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 2 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream shortening, add sugar gradually, beat thoroughly.
- Blend in molasses, beaten eggs and milk.
- Carefully mix in sifted flour, baking soda, ginger and salt.
- Pour in 8" square pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes.
Lovely, lovely molasses cake! Followed all the ingredients, only added 1 cup of raisins, too. Very moist, but not heavy. Made it an hour ago...no evidence exists any longer with 5 hungry teens in the house! Glad it didn't require cinnamon because we don't like it. Will certainly whip this up again for any reason and like that it uses things from around the kitchen that I normally have.