1/1 Photo of Angel Hair with Balsamic Tomatoes
This tastes like something I once had at Olive Garden, except I think they made it with fresh tomatoes. That limits it to a seasonal dish, since winter tomatoes, frankly, stink. Since this recipe uses canned tomatoes, you can feel gourmet at anytime. It goes together pretty quickly, especially after the first time you prepare it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Open the can of tomatoes.
- 2Do not drain, but dump the whole thing in a non-metallic bowl.
- 3Stir in the balsamic vinegar, black pepper, basil, and salt if you really think you need it.
- 4Most canned tomatoes have enough salt for this, and if you're using no-salt tomatoes, its probably because you're not SUPPOSED to have the salt.
- 5So drop the salt shaker, buddy.
- 6Let the tomatoes, et al, stand about 10 minutes.
- 7Sauté garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- 8Do not brown.
- 9Remove skillet from the burner, leaving garlic and oil in pan.
- 10Set aside.
- 11If you haven't already, put on a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- 12A big pot, so it has lots of elbow room.
- 13People should stick together, not pasta.
- 14Hmmm, that should be a commercial.
- 15Drain the tomatoes, catching the juice in the skillet with the sauteed garlic.
- 16Bring this to a boil and then simmer until the liquid is reduced by about 1/3.
- 17It needs to do this in order to concentrate the flavors a bit.
- 18While the liquid is reducing, drop the pasta into the boiling water, and cook according to package directions, just until al dente.
- 19When the pasta is done, drain and keep hot if the sauce is not done yet.
- 20Once the liquid has reduced enough, add the tomatoes, and heat briefly.
- 21You want them to get HOT, not MUSHY.
- 22Pour all this over the hot pasta and toss.
- 23Serve immediately, nice and hot, passing parmesan to let everyone top their own.
- 24This goes nicely with my Green Bean Compromise and a tossed salad with my Extremely Bad Breath Garlic& Green Olive Dressing, but serve what you like.
- 25I won't mind.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Angel Hair with Balsamic Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 334.3
- Calories from Fat 33
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 11.2 g