Recipe by CountryLady
One of the things that I love about spring is fresh asparagus - this combo makes a quick, easy & delicious dinner. The recipe came from BH & G.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Great recipe which I made with the freshest asparagus and roma tomatoes I was able to get from the green grocer. I prefer more sauce to pasta ratio, so I made with 6 ounces pasta for the 2 of us plus full sauce recipe. I added two scallions which I had leftover in fridge. BF pronouced this "excellent" and I most certainly concur. I did, however, cook asparagus for about 2 minutes longer to make a bit more tender. Thanks for a great Spring recipe! P.S. About 5 tomatoes will make 2 1/4 cups, and to cut back a bit on fat I used less oil in a non-stick skillet.
- 16 stalks fresh asparagus
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄4 cups plum tomatoes, seeded & chopped (Roma)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter (no substitutes)
- 9 ounces fresh angel hair pasta
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Trim asparagus& rinse in cold water.
- Remove the tips& set aside.
- Bias slice the rest of the stalk into 1- 1 1/2 inch pieces& set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic& pepper; cook& stir for a minute.
- Add tomatoes; cook& stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus pieces, wine& salt; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes.
- Add asparagus tips& continue cooking, uncovered, for another minute.
- Add butter& stir until melted.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain well& serve topped with sauce& fresh basil.