Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend and I made it for the first time last week. It was amazingly light but filling as angel food cake can be. Try experimenting with different flavored yogurts. The next time I make it, I think I'll use lemon!
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (about 12)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces strawberry yogurt (or your favorite flavor)
- 1 ounce instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups whipped topping
- Heat oven to 375.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl until foamy.
- Add the granulated sugar 2 tablespoons at a time, adding vanilla, almond extract, and the salt with the last of the sugar.
- Continue beating until it holds stiff peaks like a meringue. Don't under beat.
- In another bowl, mix the flour and powdered sugar.
- Sprinkle flour/sugar mixture 1/4 cups at a time over the meringue, folding gently just until mixture disappears.
- Spread in an ungreased tube pan.
- Bake 30-35min.
- When done, tip cake upside down on a cup to cool. Loosen from pan and cut into pieces to your desired thickness.
- Whisk together 8oz of yogurt with 1oz of instant vanilla pudding. Fold in 2 cups of whipped topping. Spread onto angel food slices.