Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the Splenda web site. Their new "Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking" is used in this angelfood cake. I've not tried it yet but wanted to post this as to put into Sarah's Diabetic Cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (whites from 10 to 12 large eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- Note: For those not use to making angel food cakes *Don't* get any yoke in the whites, if you do throw out and start over. I always separate the egg in a glass first. Then if no yoke pour into measuring container.
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees.
- Place egg whites in a large mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar and vanilla extract.
- Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking and light corn syrup.
- Sift flour and cornstarch 2 times into another large mixing bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup SPLENDA® Sugar Blend for Baking to flour mixture, stirring until blended.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of the flour mixture over the egg whites. Fold gently.
- Repeat procedure three times with the remaining flour mixture.
- Pour batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading batter evenly in pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air bubbles.
- Bake on lowest rack in oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Invert tube pan; cool cake in the pan for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula; remove cake from pan.
wow what a great cake!!! and hardly any sugar . It turned out perfect for Easter dinner! and I will be making this one again. Thanks sooo much for posting!! I forgot to mention I used cartoned egg whites so I didn't have to worry about what to do with egg yokes, worked great!! May 23/07 done again, it is soooo good, this time served with Angelic Strawberry Frozen Yogurt and fresh strawberries, YUM!! March 1, 2008 our favourite dessert for company, did it this time with a blueberry sauce, mmmmmm goooood!!!!
The only bad thing is this has more calories, carbs, and sugar than a regular store bought one.
I made this cake for a dinner party that included a diabetic. I used Egg Betters egg whites and it turned out great. Nice and light and moist.