1 hr 5 mins
Prolific cookbook author James McNair has been chief judge of Sutter Home Winery's burger cook-off since it began in Napa in 1990. One of his books, Build a Better Burger, includes every winning recipe. Some past winners - and McNair's Louisiana roots - inspired the burger here. Bon Appetit Magazine, July 2006. Recipe by Paul Gayler.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning or 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (we used Pickapeppa sauce)
- 1/2 lb andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chuck (20 percent fat) or 1 1/2 lbs ground beef (20 percent fat)
- 1 1/2 lbs onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for brushing grill rack
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar (has to be sugar, not a sugar substitute)
- 1FOR MAYONNAISE:.
- 2Mix all ingredients in small bowl: cover and chill.
- 3*Can be made 2 days ahead; keep chilled.
- 4FOR BURGERS:.
- 5Toss first 4 ingredients in large bowl.
- 6Add beef; blend gently.
- 7Shape mixture into six 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- 8Transfer patties to small baking sheet.
- 9**Can be made 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
- 10FOR ONIONS:.
- 11Prepare barbecue(medium-high heat).
- 12Toss onions and next 3 ingredients in large skillet.
- 13Place skillet on grill; cook until onions are golden, stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- 14Remove from grill; season with salt and pepper.
- 16Brush grill rack with olive oil; grill buns, cut side down, until golden, about 2 minutes.
- 17Transfer buns to work surface.
- 18Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minutes.
- 19Turn over; sprinkle with cheese.
- 20Grill until burgers are cooked to desired doneness, about 3 minutes for medium.
- 21Place some onions, then burger, on each bun bottom.
- 22Top each with okra and watercress.
- 23Spread mayonnaise on cut side of bun tops; place on burgers.
- 24Serve with remaining mayonnaise.
- 25Enjoy with an ice cold beer!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Andouille/Beef Burgers, Spicy Mayo & Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (427 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.6
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.7 g
- Cholesterol 131.2 mg
- Sodium 1892.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: