Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy Reader's Recipes: Cooks Country Aug/Sept 2012. Cook/Prep times are very approximate.
Make and share this Amish Tomato Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Melt 3 Tbl butter in Dutch oven over Med heat. Add onion and celery and cook until translucent, about 3 minute Stir in tomatoes and their juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until veggies are softened, about 5 minute Remove from heat and stir in 2 Tbl parsley.
- Combine remaining parsley, flour, and baking powder in a bowl. Stir in milk, egg, and melted butter until combined and smooth. Return tomato mix to simmer over Med heat.
- Using greased Tbl measure, drop heaping Tbl-size dumplings on top of tomato mix, leaving about 1/2-in between dumplings. Cover and cook over low heat until dumplings are firm and cooked through, about 20 minute Take care not to uncover during cooking. Serve.