Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from a Amish/Mennonite cookbook I bought locally in Lancaster County, PA. I love Shoo-Fly pie and the more gooey it is the better!
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup lard or 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, optional
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in
- hot water
- 2 8 inch unbaked pie crusts
- Crumb Mixture: Mix ingredients together thoroughly in a bowl until crumbs are formed.
- Syrup Mixture: In a separate bowl, mix syrup ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour half of the syrup mixture into unbaked pie crust-lined 8-inch pie plate, then add half of crumb mixture.
- Repeat with the other pie plate.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 50 minutes more.
- Cool before eating.