Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is quite different from the usual cubed ham/potato casserole. The little bit of brown sugar flavors the potatoes and ham as well the sauce. An attractive presentation and a family favorite for years. Even the kids liked it. You can sub half&half or milk for the evaporated milk, in which case just use 1 cup of milk and forget the water. But then again, the evaporated milk adds a little something to the flavor.
- 1 lb slice of ready-to-eat ham
- 1 tablespoon margarine (we used to call it oleo!)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk (small can)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced raw carrot
- In 10" skillet brown ham in oleo and brown sugar. Remove ham, pour off fat (usually not necessary).
- Mix in same skillet, the soup, milk, water, onion, salt & pepper. Stir in 3 c thinly sliced potatoes and carrots.
- Cover, cook over low heat stirring now and then, until veggies are tender, about 35 minutes. Lift veggies from the bottom so they don't stick.
- Place whole ham slice or cut in serving size pieces and place on top of veggies. Cover and cook about 10 minutes more.
This was quite good! Very easy to prepare. The small amount of brown sugar really added the perfect touch! I used 1 cup of milk instead of the evaporated milk.....I didn't have it on hand, and , instead of cooking it on the stove top I put it in the oven at 325 for about an hour...it was perfectly done and delicious. Both my husband and son liked it so it's a winner! Thanks!