Recipe by Jezski
This is quite different from the usual cubed ham/potato casserole. The little bit of brown sugar flavors the potatoes and ham as well the sauce. An attractive presentation and a family favorite for years. Even the kids liked it. You can sub half&half or milk for the evaporated milk, in which case just use 1 cup of milk and forget the water. But then again, the evaporated milk adds a little something to the flavor.
Top Review by Dixie in Pa
This was quite good! Very easy to prepare. The small amount of brown sugar really added the perfect touch! I used 1 cup of milk instead of the evaporated milk.....I didn't have it on hand, and , instead of cooking it on the stove top I put it in the oven at 325 for about an hour...it was perfectly done and delicious. Both my husband and son liked it so it's a winner! Thanks!
- 1 lb slice of ready-to-eat ham
- 1 tablespoon margarine (we used to call it oleo!)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk (small can)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 1 cup sliced raw carrot
Directions See How It's Made
- In 10" skillet brown ham in oleo and brown sugar. Remove ham, pour off fat (usually not necessary).
- Mix in same skillet, the soup, milk, water, onion, salt & pepper. Stir in 3 c thinly sliced potatoes and carrots.
- Cover, cook over low heat stirring now and then, until veggies are tender, about 35 minutes. Lift veggies from the bottom so they don't stick.
- Place whole ham slice or cut in serving size pieces and place on top of veggies. Cover and cook about 10 minutes more.