Prep 6 hrs
Cook 0 mins
This comes from the America's Test Kitchen book called Slow Cooker Revolution.I made a few changes because of what I had on hand and it tasted amazing!So flavorful without a lot of heat,not much heat actually,which is how I like it.So this is my version of their recipe,made to suit what I had on hand and the tastes I like.
- 2 slices white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 onions, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can mushrooms
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork.Mix in ground beef,1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Heat oil in 12 inch skillet over medium high heat until shimmering.Add onions,chili powder,tomato paste,garlic,taco seasoning,oregano,green peppers,mushrooms and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in beef mixture,1 pound at a time and cook,breaking up any large pieces with wooden spoon until no longer pink about 3 minutes per pound.Stir in remaining tomato paste,scraping any browned bits;transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in diced tomatoes,with its juice,beans,soy sauce and brown sugar into slow cooker.Cover and cook until beef is tender,6-8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
- This can also be made in a dutch oven or large pot and kept at a low simmer for 4-5 hours.