Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
When I went out on my first date I ate at the American Cafe restuarant. They had this great butter spread that I loved. They served it with pumpernickel bread. I could never find the recipe, but this one is really good.
- 1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese (you can try lowfat, but I never have)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons scallions or 2 tablespoons chives
- With an electic mixer combine the cream cheese and the butter until light, fluffy and pale in color.
- Begin to chop the garlic roughly and than add the salt to the garlic to release the oils. Chop until very fine and almost like a paste.
- Add the garlic and chives (or scallions) to the butter creamcheese mixture.
- Mix by hand and store in the refrigerator for an hour or two to let the flavors meld together. Bring out to soften at room temperature when ready to serve.