Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
I'm posting this here on Zaar for safekeeping. I'm going try this yummy-sounding salad soon. The woman, (Debbie Sinor), who's mom invented this recipe came in runner-up in a recipe contest. She serves it on New Year's Day, and says she always holds true to her mother's tradition, leaving one maraschino cherry whole. Whoever gets the whole cherry will have good luck in the new year!
- 4 (3 ounce) boxes pineapple gelatin mix
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 (13 1/2 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 (15 ounce) can mandarin orange segments, drained and halved
- 1 (10 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained and halved (reserve one whole cherry, if desired)
- Dissolve gelatin in boiling water in large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup cold water and coconut milk. Refrigerate, uncovered, until slightly set (mixture should have consistency of egg whites), about 1 hour.
- Lightly coat 12-cup mold or nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Whisk slightly set gelatin until well blended, then fold in marshmallows, oranges, and cherries. Pour gelatin mixture into mold and refrigerate, uncovered, until set, about 4 hours. (Can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.) When ready to serve, invert onto large plate.
This was delicious and so pretty. I don't usually prepare recipes with marshmallows in them. I made an exception this time, and was glad I did. If you make this with ice cold water and iced coconut milk, you don't even have to wait an hour to complete it. I just threw the milk in the freezer for a while and used the old tried and true method of half water and half ice cubes. I cut the recipe in half, though, as this makes a very large amount, otherwise! Thnx for posting, Laurel. Made for ZWT5 for RRR
This was fantastic! It is best made a day ahead. It is so refreshing and tropical. I made it for my son's birthday it was a hit!