Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
Elegant fruit pastry that combines apples, amaretto liqueur, heavy cream and almonds. The crust is a bit sweeter than a normal pastry. This is adapted from a treasured Soup and Stew cookbook.
- Prepare pastry: in medium bowl, mix flour and sugar.
- Cut in chilled butter until crumbly.
- Beat egg yolk and mix with vanilla.
- With fork, stir egg mxture lightly into flour mixture.
- Press dough together into a smooth ball, then flatten.
- Press pastry into bottom and up the sides of an 11 inch removable bottom tart pan.
- Peel apples and cut in halves lengthwise; remove cores.
- Cut each half in thin lengthwise slices, keeping slices together in apple shape.
- Arrange apples in prepared pastry shell, round sides up.
- After placing apple rounds in pastry shell, fan out slightly to cover most of pastry.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with amaretto, sugar and salt until well mixed.
- Blend in cream and pour evenly over apples.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake in preheated 450* oven for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350* and bake until filling is set and apples are tender- 50 minutes to an hour.
- Remove and place on wire rack to cool.
- Stir preserves in small saucepan on low heat until melted and bubbly.
- Strain to remove any solid pieces of fruit and brush glaze over pastry tart.
- Remove pan sides and serve tart at room temperature.