1/1 Photo of Alyssa's Butter-Fly Tarts
1 hr 5 mins
Like Nanaimo Bars, butter tarts are a Canadian treat and all recipes are very similar. Increase the corn syrup - they will be runnier; increase the brown sugar - they will be less runny. The cooking time will also affect the texture of the filling. My daughter and granddaughter won second place in the butter tart contest at the Good Food Festival in Toronto...... and yes, I am very proud of them ....... and yes, the tarts are delicious! My granddaughter came up with the recipe name based on the display platter they used for the contest. You can leave out the raisins entirely or decrease the amount ........ try currants or pecans, or walnuts or a mixture. My grandchildren like them with chocolate chips - the choice is yours!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cake-and-pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 3 tablespoons cold shortening
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1PASTRY: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl; cut in butter and shortening until pieces are about the size of small peas.
- 3Stir lemon juice into 3 tbsp of ice water; stir into flour mixture, adding more ice water, 1 tbsp at a time, if needed, to just moisten.
- 4Press together to form a ball of dough; flatten into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- 5Roll out pastry and cut into 4-inch (approx) circles using a round cookie cutter or the open end of a drinking glass.
- 6Fit pastry circles into muffin cups; refridgerate while preparing the filling.
- 7FILLING: Place raisins into a small bowl and cover with rum that has been warmed in the microwave or a small pot (or hot tap water) to soak and soften while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- 8Mix the brown sugar, golden corn syrup, butter and salt together in a medium bowl until the sugar is dissolved and no butter streaks are visible.
- 9Add vanilla and egg and mix until combined.
- 10ASSEMBLY: Drain raisins and divide among tart shells; add approximately 2 tbsp of filling to each tart shell.
- 11Bake 15 – 18 minutes or until the filling is lightly browned and bubbling.
- 12Remove from oven and cool in the muffin pans for 10 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely on racks.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Alyssa's Butter-Fly Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (965 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.4
- Calories from Fat 149
- Total Fat 16.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 51.5 mg
- Sodium 205.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g