Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is in reply to a request for mac and cheese. I copied this from Alton Brown "Good Eats" from the food network. Does take a bit of work, but well worth it. You can add tuna, hot dogs or any other kinds of additions you want.
- 1⁄2 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes making sure it's free of lumps.
- Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.
- Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.
- For the topping, melt the butter in a sauté pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
"The purpose of cooking the roux".. ( flour butter mixture) is to cook the flour taste out of it).. as well as to make the perfect lump free sauce!..<br/>I made this per Alton's directions.. I grated my onions and gave them a quick rise with water..before adding to the milk..( rising removes that onion odor)..I also added a 3 oz of cream cheese...PERFECT!...will make this one for my family cook book!
This is really good and creamy though I only made 1/2 a recipe I used 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese as I don't like too much cheese. I like mixed cheese in my mac & cheese. I pretty much halved everything except I only cooked butter and flour 3 minutes as I had halved recipe but I went for the full 10 minutes on the other simmer, stir time..
Forgot something I used less mustard as someone mentioned that had too strong a mustard flavor. Though I used all the onion.
I made this just as directed except I didn't butter the panko bread crumbs. Excellent flavor and texture. I will keep this recipe handy for this very good treat.