Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe when we lived in Hawaii and making it brings back fond memories! You can easily leave off the bacon or change cheeses as desired.
- 8 pineapple slices, in juice
- 3⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 onion hamburger buns or 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds, split
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 4 bacon, strips cooked
- Drain pineapple juice into a small bowl; add teri sauce. Place 3 tbsp in a resealable plastic bag. Add pineapple and rotate to coat; set aside.
- Shape beef into four patties; place in a 8" square baking dish. Pour the remaining teriyaki sauce mixture over patties; marinate for 5-10 minutes, turning once.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Grill or broil burgers until no longer pink. Place pineapple on grill or under broiler to heat through. Layer lettuce and onion on bottom of buns. Top with burgers, cheese, pineapple and bacon. Replace tops; serve immediately.
AMAZING! I wanted a burger with some flair, and DH didn't want anything to 'froo-frooey'. This was perfect!!! The grilled pineapple slices in teriyaki are not overpowering, and the bacon balances this burger perfectly. I definetly suggest the onion bun option.. it adds a great taste with the other ingredients. I opted to make Recipe #83780, worked amazingly well. This was one of the few 'gourmetish' burgers that can be enjoyed by a wide array of people. Fantastic!