Recipe by spatchcock
Found this at weightwatchers.com.
Top Review by chef 1011624
This is a winner - but don't forget to add 1/2 tsp salt! That was missing from the recipe. The cake is moist and holds together well. I added about a tablespoon of instant coffee to the dry ingredients, which really enhanced the chocolate flavor. And I iced it with that diet-friendly Dream Whip-pudding mix frosting. Delish!
- 8 1⁄3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 large egg whites
- 1 1⁄3 cups dark brown sugar
- 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray the bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring-form pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dust the pan with 1 tablespoon cocoa and tap out the excess.
- To prepare batter: In a medium bowl, sift together 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cocoa, flour, baking power and baking soda.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer, beat egg whites, brown sugar, yogurt and vanilla until blended, about 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Mix in dry ingredients by hand or on low mixer speed until just moistened.
- Do not over-mix.
- (This is not a smooth batter.).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for about 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- (If the pan is of a different size, the cooking time may vary.) Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Then use a knife to loosen the sides of the cake from the pan.
- Remove the ring and cool completely on a rack.
- Serve the cake on the metal bottom of the pan.
- To prepare the topping: in a small bowl, combine the remaining tablespoon of cocoa with the powdered sugar.
- Place the mixture in a small fine sieve and dust the top of cake before serving.