Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this recipe and added heaps of vegetables because it's one of the only ways I eat them! This spaghetti sauce has no added fat unless you serve it with cheese. You can pre-cook the vegetables in the microwave to make the cooking a bit faster.
- 400 g dried spaghetti or 400 g fettuccine pasta, cooked till al dente
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 400 g 95% lean ground beef
- 425 g diced and peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Spray a large non-stick frypan lightly with cooking oil spray and cook onion and garlic till soft. Add minced beef and cook until browned.
- Add can of tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetables and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until vegetables are soft - about 15 minutes
- Serve over hot pasta and garnish with grated cheese of your choice.
Tasty bolognese, I added a few more mushrooms as I had some I needed to use up, and I let simmer for half an hour. Bonus that it's low fat!
I made this because it's a healthier version. It was just "okay," nothing to rave about. Easy enough to prepare but on the bland side. It could use some more seasoning, perhaps some crushed red pepper, or more veggies or something.
This is always how I make my Bolognese sauce....tastes just as good as the real stuff, but is much better for you! I serve it over whole wheat spaghetti and everyone loves it!