I adapted this recipe and added heaps of vegetables because it's one of the only ways I eat them! This spaghetti sauce has no added fat unless you serve it with cheese. You can pre-cook the vegetables in the microwave to make the cooking a bit faster.
- 400 g dried spaghetti or 400 g fettuccine pasta, cooked till al dente
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 400 g 95% lean ground beef
- 425 g diced and peeled tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 3 medium mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Spray a large non-stick frypan lightly with cooking oil spray and cook onion and garlic till soft. Add minced beef and cook until browned.
- Add can of tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetables and herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until vegetables are soft - about 15 minutes
- Serve over hot pasta and garnish with grated cheese of your choice.