Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is so easy to make and so perfect for Fall. Enjoy!
- nonstick cooking spray (I use Spectrum Canola Spray)
- 1 3⁄4 cups sliced blanched almonds
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- whipped cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°. Cut a piece of wax or parchment paper to fit the bottom of an 8-inch round cake pan. Coat pan with nonstick spray, place prepared paper round in bottom of pan, and spray paper. Sprinkle evenly with ¼ cup almonds.
- In a food processor, process remaining 1 ½ cups almonds with ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar until finely ground; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 2 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks form. Beat in almond extract. In three additions, gently fold in ground almond mixture.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared pan, tapping pan on counter to expel large air bubbles. Bake until golden brown and firm in center, 40 to 45 minutes; cool completely in pan. Invert onto serving plate, and remove wax or parchment paper.